Parkes, New South Wales, Australia

Parkes

About

Parkes and the surrounding smaller towns combine as a progressive regional hub; from our foundations as an early gold discovery settlement, to our roots in the agricultural engine room of NSW, our anchor as an inland transport hub and our rich mining landscape.

The traditional owners of the Parkes Shire region are the Wiradjuri people who have lived in these lands for more than 40,000 years. Wiradjuri culture is alive in the community with the language being taught in our local schools and public spaces featuring traditional artworks and storytelling.

In 1862 when the discovery of gold led to a hastily erected ‘canvas’ town known as “Currajong” which accommodated thousands of hopeful gold seekers. A further discovery of gold in 1871 at the nearby Bushman’s Gold Mine helped the district to become one of the richest gold producing areas in the colony.

In 1873 the then Prime Minister of New South Wales, Sir Henry Parkes, showed his interest in the district by visiting the diggings. On December 1, 1873 the name of the settlement was changed from Bushmans to Parkes in honour of the great statesman. Sir Henry Parkes visited Parkes in 1887 and gave the town the Fontana Bust, which is displayed at Parkes Shire Council. In that same year Parkes changed the name of its main street to ‘Clarinda’ – lady Parkes’ Christian name.

Parkes’ sister city relationship with Coventry in the UK was initiated in 1939 and is the oldest sister city link of any Australian town or city. The link was forged as Coventry was the birthplace of Sir Henry Parkes, in 1815. A replica of Sir Henry Parkes’ birthplace, the Moat House Cottage can be seen when visiting the Henry Parkes Centre, alongside the Parkes Visitor Information Centre.

People

Local Food

Culture

History

Parkes was founded in 1853 as the settlement Currajong, named for the abundance of kurrajong trees in the local area by the settlers, but was then known as Bushman’s from the local mine named Bushman’s Lead.

In August 1873, Henry Parkes visited the area and in December 1873 the town was officially renamed Parkes in his honour . Sir Henry Parkes is recognised in Australia as having played an instrumental role in Australia becoming a unified and federated country. In March 1885, Parkes was proclaimed a town.

Bushman’s Lead Post Office opened on 1 August 1872 and was renamed Parkes in 1873. The railway from Molong via Parkes to Forbes, was officially opened on 18 December 1893.

Parkes attracted significant attention during the gold rush of the 1870s onwards, and even to this day modern mining companies still have sites in the region.

In 1939, Parkes became a sister city with Coventry in the United Kingdom. This was in honour of the fact Sir Henry Parkes was born in Coventry.

Shopping

Thing to do

At night

How to get here

Parkes has a local bus service provided by Western Road Liners, which acquired Harris Bus Lines in March 2006. The Indian Pacific also stops twice a week, as well as the Outback Xplorer service, run by NSW TrainLink, which heads to Broken Hill on Mondays and Sydney on Tuesdays. Parkes railway station is situated on the Broken Hill railway line, and opened in 1893. A smaller station served Parkes Racecourse between 1923 and 1937. Parkes Regional Airport is served regular air services to Sydney operated by Regional Express Airlines. The airport is located approximately five kilometres east of the central business district.

Parkes was founded in 1853 as the settlement Currajong, named for the abundance of kurrajong trees in the local area by the settlers, but was then known as Bushman’s from the local mine named Bushman’s Lead.

In August 1873, Henry Parkes visited the area and in December 1873 the town was officially renamed Parkes in his honour . Sir Henry Parkes is recognised in Australia as having played an instrumental role in Australia becoming a unified and federated country. In March 1885, Parkes was proclaimed a town.

Bushman’s Lead Post Office opened on 1 August 1872 and was renamed Parkes in 1873. The railway from Molong via Parkes to Forbes, was officially opened on 18 December 1893.

Parkes attracted significant attention during the gold rush of the 1870s onwards, and even to this day modern mining companies still have sites in the region.

In 1939, Parkes became a sister city with Coventry in the United Kingdom. This was in honour of the fact Sir Henry Parkes was born in Coventry.

Parkes has a local bus service provided by Western Road Liners, which acquired Harris Bus Lines in March 2006. The Indian Pacific also stops twice a week, as well as the Outback Xplorer service, run by NSW TrainLink, which heads to Broken Hill on Mondays and Sydney on Tuesdays. Parkes railway station is situated on the Broken Hill railway line, and opened in 1893. A smaller station served Parkes Racecourse between 1923 and 1937. Parkes Regional Airport is served regular air services to Sydney operated by Regional Express Airlines. The airport is located approximately five kilometres east of the central business district.

Support Australia

Building a Better Community

Add

Ask View All

Ask Members about

Ask your Community
Reviews View All

No Reviews yet

Help this community with your review

Members
Invite friends
  • James Anderson
  • Jack Jones
  • Jordan Roberts
  • yosephina christiany
  • Niken Wadkar
  • Ravi kmftn
Awesome Things You Can Learn From Bunbury Destination in  australia
Copy

There is most to work out and neutralize and around Bunbury too. we̵...

02 May, 2019
Velos in the Valley in Sunshine-Coast Australia
October 20
Copy

Come and join a cycling adventure through the Pioneer Valley; Mackay Queensland. The Velos in the Valley route will take you ...