249 Sheridan Street, Gundagai, New South Wales 2722
Gold was identified by the geologist Rev. W. B. Clarke at Gundagai in 1842. A gold rush hit the area in 1858 following further discoveries of gold and mining continued initially until 1875. Following a second gold rush in 1894, mines operated well into the 20th Century, with some mining activity still occurring in 2007. The best known historical mines were the ‘Robinson and Rice’s Mine’ (Long Tunnel Mine) a few miles south west of Gundagai and the ‘Prince of Wales Mine’ a few miles to the immediate west of Gundagai.’Nangus Island’ in the middle of the Murrumbidgee River at Nangus is marked as one of the early goldfields and was previously named ‘M’Arthur Island’.Gundagai was an important staging post, with gold from Adelong sent for delivery to the Sydney Mint. Sergeant Parry, shot dead in an 1864 coach hold up, is buried here.